By day, I am a self employed web designer and developer for a company called www.purple-pixels.com, which I run with my lovely wife, and by night (well evening) I try my best to play as many games as possible. I am not always successful with this as TV and real life often gets in the way, but I do try.
The idea for a Game Review website came a few years ago. Because of the amount of games I played I often got asked by friends what I thought of them. So I had this idea to review the games I played.
This plan had a flaw… I got BORED writing. The more I tried to review games, the more I wanted to the play the games. So instead of a 1000 word review detailing all the wonderful graphical features and audio sensations generated by said game, I ended up with a 215ish word review that I never finished (I think I have quite a few of these lying around on my hard disk).
So that is where www.MiniGameReviews.com comes in. The idea was to review a game using 140 characters or less, this meant that I never really got bored whilst writing the review for the game.
You might wonder why my reviews have so many high rated games, and so few low ones, it is because I try to buy all my own games. Since the start of 2013, we have been making contact with some of the publishers to request review copies of games, and we have had some fantastic support. As a point of reference, we have no affiliation with any publisher. So I do a little research of my own before I spend my hard earned money on games.
Hopefully a lot of you are like me, in that most of the time, you would rather PLAY the game instead of reading 1,000 words talking about it.
My main goal with Mini Game Reviews is to finish every game I review, but some of the games are just so bad that I don’t want to waste my time on them. These games get reviewed as and when. I have also found that some games take me a long time to finish, so my reviews can take a long time to come out. I have decided that for the majority of games I haven’t finished yet, I will endeavour to review these after around 10 hours of game play (I will use Raptr to track the time) and 5 hours for XBox Live Arcade Games.
Now to give you some background information on me, as a reviewer:
- I love playing third person shooters, especially the ones that implement cover systems (Splinter Cell, Gears of War, Assassin’s Creed series). I enjoy playing role playing games (Guild Wars, Mass Effect).
- I like puzzles in games, but if they are too hard, then I easily get frustrated (Lack of patience with games).
- I also am not a big fan of simulation racing games (unless they have a rewind feature), but I do love arcade style racers (Burnout Paradise, Blur).
- I do play First person shooters, if they are good fun, but overall most of them seem to be all very similar (Call of Duty Series).
- I am not a fan of Sports games (Fifa etc) or Simulation games (The Sims), so will find very few reviews on this style of game.
- I love playing Real Time Strategy games, but I don’t think they belong on a Console and since most of my games are on the xbox, I don’t play that many any more.
With all that said and done. I hope you enjoy the reviews. Catch them here or on twitter by following the tag @MiniGameReviews.
EDIT: 30/05/2012 – Added details on how it will take to review the games featured on Mini Game Reviews.